Like most Indians, I knew nothing about baking when I first came to the US. I had always enjoyed my bread and my cookies, but thought of baking as very esoteric until a dear friend of mine walked me through a brownie-out-of-a-box baking session on a cold wintry Chicago evening two decades ago, and I have been hooked ever since. The same friend also shared many of her family recipes with me - one such being her mother's recipe for pumpkin muffins. I made these tonight and and were really delicious. I tweaked the original recipe just a little so that there is more whole wheat flour and slightly less sugar, but the result is still yummy. Here's the modified recipe-
Flour 3.5 cups
Sugar 2.5 cups
Salt 1 tsp
Baking powder 0.5 tsp
Baking soda 2 tsp
Eggs 4 (beaten) - substitute with Egg replacer for a vegan version
Cinnamon 1.5 tsp
Cloves 0.75 tsp
Nutmeg 0.75 tsp
Canned pumpkin 2 cups
Oil 2/3 cup
Water 2/3 water
Nuts and/or dark chocolate chips 1 cup (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix all ingredients. Pour into muffin cups (can also make pumpkin bread by pouring into 2 greased loaf pans). Bake 25-35 mins (depending on size) at 350 F.
Enjoy the warm smells of the spices that fill your home as your muffins bake!
No comments:
Post a Comment